1 c. warm water (100-110 F)
1 Tbsp. organic cane sugar
2 tsp. active dry yeast
3/4 tsp. sea salt
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary (or 2 tsp. dry)
1/4 tsp. each ground garlic, dry oregano, and dry basil (Italian seasoning would do.)
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. good quality extra virgin olive oil (I use Colavita or Costco's brand)
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. bread flour + extra for kneading
1 egg, whisked + 1 Tbsp. water for egg wash
dry rosemary and minced garlic
1. In a large glass or plastic bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit 10 minutes to proof.
2. Stir in the salt, rosemary, herbs, olive oil, and whole wheat and all-purpose flours.
3. Add the bread flour and stir until the dough forms a ball. Knead on a surface lightly floured with the extra bread flour for about 5 minutes, adding more bread flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Continue kneading until smooth.
4. Place the dough in a lightly oiled (more olive oil) glass or plastic bowl and cover. Let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
5. Punch down the dough and form a round loaf by pinching and folding to the under side. Place it on a cornmeal dusted pizza stone or cookie sheet. Cover and let rise until double in size.
6. Preheat oven to 400 F with a pan of water in the bottom. (Steam makes a chewier crust.) Once the dough has risen, gently brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with dry rosemary and minced garlic.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.